top of page

1833 Buffalo Lighthouse

The Second Buffalo Light (1833)


In 1821 the citizens of Buffalo worked to create a harbor by building a pier to shelter and extend the mouth of the Buffalo Creek. In 1832 and 1833 the federal government strengthened that pier, and enlarged the end of it for a second lighthouse.


The 1833 Buffalo Light took over as the main harbor light. Its top three levels, stone and iron, were added in 1857 to raise the light from a new Fresnel lens and add room for a fog bell.


During the 20th Century land was created behind the old stone pier to create the Coast Guard base, and in 1914 the old lighthouse went dark, replaced by a third Buffalo Light farther out.

bottom of page